My Wish

The reason why I started this blog is because I believe that the notes I compiled/made are able to help many students my age and younger who have been trying to find subject specific notes for their SPM revision. My intention is to help more people whether if it is via the notes, advice or the experience I shared in this blog.

There are three conditions,

- Please do not edit my notes or take away the credits/watermark as these notes are prepared, written and compiled by me. I spent a lot of time on it :)

- If this blog helps you, do spread it out to others, especially those in need. Share the notes/knowledge so that the notes I made won't be wasted.

-If you spot any flaws in my work, feel free to send me an email/ inform me directly in the c-box so that I can edit the notes and upload a better version. If you have anything to add, do tell me too! If you have a link that you think it's useful, do share it with me and others in the chatbox.

Thanks for reading and enjoy learning :)

Refer to the sidebar for easy excess to notes, interactive books, tips and videos.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Tips :)

Physics


1. Learn about the physics test format


Paper 1 (50%)

- 50 Multiple choice questions
- Total of 50 marks


Paper 2 (100%)

- Section A
> 8 structured questions
> A total of 60 marks


- Section B
> Choose 1 of 2 questions
> Total of 20 marks


- Section C
> Choose 1 of 2 questions
> Total of 20 marks


Paper 3 (40%)

- Section A
> 2 structural questions


- Section B
> Choose 1 of 2 questions


General Marks = [(P1 + P2 + P3)/190] x 100%


2. Spend some time to look through a few samples of SPM physics examination papers.


> Look at the type of questions asked in different sections in each paper.
> Look at how the marks are distributed for each questions.
> Look at the differences between the question requirement between different sections.
> Look at the diagrams or questions that require you to draw, make some notes about the type of diagrams you'll need to be familiar with.

3. Spend some time to look through the model answers of the respective papers.

> As you look at the answers for each questions and how each sentence or keyword is given marks, you'll pretty much know how you should write when this type of questions comes out.

> Try to attempt on the questions first if you are capable of, but it's still not too late if you can't. Just be patient, it will be rather tidious or merely annoying to copy or jot down the model answers and the marks distribution at first when you tried to attempt the papers. However, practice makes perfect, as you copy down the model answers, be sure to take some time to understand them as you write them down. If you encounter any problem or have any doubts, do not hesitate, just go straight and ask your teacher. Make sure that you try it out yourself first before you actually go and ask the teacher because you want to learn from it, not being spoonfed.

> If your answer is very different from the model answer, be sure to consult the teacher as the book which provides you with the model answers can make mistakes too.

> Highlight the parts you think it'll be more difficult for you and jot down the location of the area. For example, I am weak in paper 2, section C.

4. After locating the weaker areas, you wouldn't want to just let it be there. Go brush up!

> Take a few samples of test papers. Flip to the part you're weak at. Then, look through it one by one. When you get the gist of it, you start to attempt it, try it out at least. You might be giving the wrong answers now but it can be rectified so you will not repeat it in the actual SPM.
> Check the answers once you've finished them. Compare your answers to the model answers, try to understand the variation.
> After attempting few sets of that section, do go and consult your teacher. Let her comment on your weakness in general that she might have spotted in you. Jot them down. Mention to her/ him that you have some difficulties in this section. Show her your work and discuss with her regarding your correction. Consult her on the way of answering that section and how to think accordingly.
> Then, don't wait, you'll have to start drilling on that part. Go home, look at the model answers and your answered papers once more. Put them aside before you get yourself glued to a new set of paper. Then, try to apply whatever you'd learned from your mistakes and from the teacher into answering the questions.
> It might seems problematic to repeat the section over and over again until you are familiar with it and becomes confident.

*Personal Experience: When I tried to spot my weakness, I found out that I was weak in paper 2 section c. So I did lots of questions on it and at first, I suck pretty well. I kept answering the wrong things and almost gave up. But then I told myself, I want to score well in physics, I'll have to make sure that every part of the papers I'm able to answer. So I printed lots of past year trial papers from all states even from SBP and MRSM. I compiled that particular section that I'm weak into a file. I spend some time everyday to attempt at least one of the questions that I'm weak on. Since there's no sample answers to look and refer, I consult my teacher everyday. She helped me to check the questions I attempted and we discussed about the questions which I'd answered wrongly. I learn from my mistakes everyday and when I went home, I look through and try to recall what the teacher had said before I attempt a new set. This took me 2 weeks to complete as on some days when I began to feel confident with the section, I'd answered 3-4 sets daily. That's how it became on par with my other sections.

5. Notes/ Practice

> Take at least half an hour a day to recall the chapter that was covered in class on that particular day. Sometimes, you can also re-copy your notes so it might help you more.

> Take at least 15 minutes to look at chapters that the teacher is about to teach, read in advance and try to understand it. By the time you enter the class, everything the teacher teaches will be familiar. It will then be like a revision section.

> Pay attention in class and ask the teacher about the subtopic or any questions in particular that is related to what they are teaching if you do not understand. You might look dumb for asking silly questions and get people laughing at your stupidity but that's just the process of learning. Just ignore the rest that doesn't care asking.

> Go home, complete your homework or assignment first. Then, do some revision before you attempt on the questions. If you have any uncertainty that suddenly arrises at any point of time, always be prepared with a notebook so you can jot it down and ask your teacher the next day. Don't wait till few days later as you might have forgotten what you wanted to ask.

*Warning: Do not be the one who only completes the extra revision and neglected doing the homework or assignments the teacher had given to you. Teachers won't favour that behavior.

*Tips: Don't dispose any notes you make during class, at home, merely scribling because when you look back next time, you might find some useful things jot down inside that you might have left out. When you write you will remember more, trust me. The more senses you use, the better you remember.

6. Preparation for test

> Re-do notes/ Re-read the notes you made.
> Don't spot any topics.
> Attempt on some questions.
> Get enough sleep.
> Don't forget your calculator!!

7. Marks

> When you get back your marks, it shall tell you how much effort you put in. Don't give up when it is not as what you expected it would be and too, don't be over glad that you got high marks and did not continue to study or attempt on the questions. There's no stop when you started. Remember the tortoise and the hare story? That's what it meant ;)

> Look through your test paper no matter how dissatisfactory you are. Ask the teacher about the questions you are wrong and try to learn and understand from that.

> Sometimes, teachers might give you correction to be done. Don't take it as a waste of time as it helps you to not make the same mistakes. Don't just copy for the sake of passing up the correction, you should copy with understanding. That way, you'll learn more.

8. Don't believe me that practice makes perfect?

> Put the thoughts in action! Try it for yourself. When you have the will to score in physics, you have the way to do so :)

*Personal Experience: I got 45 marks in physics before and now it's an A+. It is useful for me, why not try it for yourself?

*Spending some time each day might be tough at first but when you look at the paper you get back each time after the test, the marks on it will be worth sacrificed.

0 comments: